top of page



Knowing you need help, but not knowing where to start can be daunting. The first step toward finding help is to acknowledge that you need it and then reaching out for it.

If you are feeling suicidal, please call this number immediately - 1-800-273-TALK  (1 800 273 8255)


If you are suffering from severe anxiety, depression, bipolar depression, substance abuse, or an eating disorder, the goal of this website is to provide you with information about your illness and  links to even more information about your illness and various forms of therapy and medicines that can be used to treat it. The site also provides links to a variety of mental health professionals, hospitals and programs that specialize in your illness. 

We encourage you to think of this site as a “starting point” as you seek information and help. This website is not comprehensive. It provides links to some, but not all of the many programs and service providers that are available to you. 

The Maddie Fund itself does not endorse or recommend any specific professionals or programs. We strongly encourage you to do your own research to find a professional or program that may be right for you or your loved one.

Medical Professionals

When seeking advice for treatment options for mental health there are a number of options you can consider. If you have a primary care physician, you can consult with him or her first. If you don’t have a primary doctor, you can choose to go to a mental health walk-in clinic or you can email or call the many online and phone-based mental health services that are available to you, many of which are highlighted in this website.

The three main groups of professionals that provide Mental Health services are: Licensed Therapists, Psychologists and Psychiatrists. Psychologists are often referred to as Therapists, but also have a degree in psychology, and often have taken advanced studies in the same field, including doctorate or Ph.D. study levels. A Psychiatrist is a Medical Doctor who specializes in identifying and treating different forms of mental illness and can prescribe medicines to help treat these illnesses. A Therapist and/or Psychologist will usually treat patients with “talk therapy” and other specific forms of therapy, several of which are described in this website, while a Psychiatrist may recommend medication in addition to other forms of therapy. If someone does not respond to medication, the psychiatrist may recommend other medical treatments or other alternative treatments, several of which are described in this website. It is common for an individual who is suffering from a mental illness to work with both a Therapist/Psychologist and a Psychiatrist when working toward managing symptoms and improving their condition.

Psychologists & Therapists 

Psychologists hold a doctoral degree in clinical psychology or another specialty such as counseling or education. They are trained to evaluate a person’s mental health using clinical interviews, psychological evaluations and testing. They can make diagnoses and provide individual and group therapy. Some may have training in specific forms of therapy like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and other behavioral therapy interventions.

Find a Psychologist at TalkSpace

Find a Psychologist at BetterHelp

Find a Psychologist from the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

Find a Therapist from GoodTherapy 

Find a Therapist from PsychologyToday

What’s the difference between a Psychiatrist and a Psychologist?

What’s the difference between a Therapist and a Psychologist?



Psychiatrists are licensed medical doctors who have completed psychiatric training. They can diagnose mental health conditions, prescribe and monitor medications and provide therapy. Some have completed additional training in child and adolescent mental health, substance use disorders or geriatric psychiatry.

Find a Psychiatrist at 

Find a Psychiatrist at

Find a Psychiatrist at

Find a Psychologist at Find A Pro

Find a Psychiatrist at

Find a Psychiatrist from the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance

Medical Professionals

Hospitals, Treatment

Centers, &

Clinical Trails

Services at some mental health clinics and other services are on a sliding scale based on income and other factors. The list below offers treatment facilities that could potentially accept insurance, Medicare, Medicaid or other forms of payment. It's best to contact any facility to see specifically if they offer the free mental health service that you need.

Universities or teaching hospitals in your area may also offer mental health services, including some free services. Contact those in your area to find out.



Treatment Centers:

Clinical Trials: 

Hospitals & Clinics





Support Groups



  • Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) – Can use in US, U.K., Canada and Singapore

  • Suicide Crisis Line: 1-800-999-9999

  • National Adolescent Suicide Helpline: 1-800-621-4000

  • Postpartum Depression: 1-800-PPD-MOMS

  • NDMDA Depression Hotline – Support Group: 1-800-826-3632

  • Veterans: 1-877-VET2VET

  • Crisis Help Line – For Any Kind of Crisis: 1-800-233-4357

  • Suicide & Depression Crisis Line – Covenant House: 1-800-999-9999

  • Trans Lifeline

  • National Alliance on Mental Illness 

Substance Abuse

  • National Association for Children of Alcoholics: 1-888-55-4COAS (1-888-554-2627)

  • National Drug Abuse: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

  • Al-Anon/Alateen Hope & Help for young people who are the relatives & friends of a problem drinker): 1-800-344-2666

  • Alcohol/Drug Abuse Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)

  • Be Sober Hotline: 1-800-BE-SOBER (1-800-237-6237)

  • Cocaine Help Line: 1-800-COCAINE (1-800-262-2463)

  • 24 Hour Cocaine Support Line: 1-800-992-9239

  • Ecstasy Addiction: 1-800-468-6933

  • Marijuana Anonymous: 1-800-766-6779


Eating Disorders

  • Eating Disorders Center: 1-888-236-1188

  • Eating Disorders Awareness and Prevention: 1-800-931-2237 (Hours: 8am-noon daily, PST)


Other Hotlines & Websites

  • Self-Injury Support: 1-800-DONT CUT (1-800-366-8288) (WWW.SELFINJURY.COM)

  • Help Finding a Therapist: 1-800-THERAPIST (1-800-843-7274)

  • Panic Disorder Information and Support: 1-800-64-PANIC (1-800-647-2642)

  • TalkZone (Peer Counselors): 1-800-475-TALK (1-800-475-2855)

  • Parental Stress Hotline: 1-800-632-8188

  • National AIDS Helpline: (UK Only) 0800 567 123

  • BetterHelp online counseling

  • Crisis Text Line text 741741

bottom of page